Thursday, November 7, 2013

Oregon Trail . . . from the Imagination of the Artist

Have you ever started a painting that took on a life of it own? I have more than once, but today I'm talking about my new painting-in-progress. It's a 15" x 30" oil painting telling a story of two families on one of the Oregon Trails on the east side of the Cascade mountains. They are almost to their new homestead and feel elated. The trail I've devised is in the hills east of Mt. Batchelor. Two related families include three children, two dogs and a milk cow. Oxen pull the two wagons.

I thought I'd bring you along as the painting and the story develops, a third finished . . . I think. Does one ever know when a painting IS finished?

Before:



And completed in September 2013: "The Long Journey




No comments:

Post a Comment