Thursday, November 7, 2013

Does the Age of the Artist Make a Difference?

I published this article in my newsletter and thought it's too important to go to just a few subscribers:

John Updike, the renowned author wrote well into his later 70’s . . . when he passed on he still had works to be published.

Claude Monet, born in 1840 died in 1926 at the age of 86. It was only the last few months as he became enfeebled did he cease painting. Some of his most renowned paintings were done when his eyesight was failing. His earlier paintings were excluded from juried exhibitions.  Later in life his paintings received great acceptance by collectors.

Currently, California artist Robert Lewis, who is well past the age of retirement, is a happy, active plein air painter who wins awards in many outdoor painting events.

So now after so many years, the true me is here! When I enjoyed success as an artist in the 70's and 80's, I believe it was a means to an end to support horses in training and showing. Now, I breathe and dream of producing art as I see and feel it in the beauty of Oregon.

I came across this quote that means much to me . . . . I don't know the author . . . . but, "You make art or you die. Isn’t that the case for most artists?"  

No comments:

Post a Comment